KOK Edit: Your favorite copyeditor since 1984(SM)
KOK Edit: your favorite copyeditor since 1984(SM) KOK Edit: your favorite copyeditor since 1984(SM) Katharine O'Moore Klopf
Blog

Monday, July 04, 2005

Freedom to Love

While U.S. lawmakers are busy spouting as much antigay bigotry as they can, Spain's lawmakers will now allow same-sex marriages, and so will Canada's. Spain's new law legalizing gay marriage took effect July 2. Canada's House of Commons passed a bill on June 29.

Meanwhile, the United Church of Christ has dared to do something that no other entity, religious or secular, in the United States has dared to do: say that all love is created equal. The General Synod, the UCC rule-making body, overwhelmingly approved a resolution endorsing same-sex marriage. The UCC knows what most other U.S. Christian denominations do not—that God does not discriminate.

As we celebrate freedom today in the United States, let us take heart that one day, that freedom will extend to every person in the country, regardless of sexual preferencesexual orientation, gender identity, race, income, or ethnic background. And all of us, working together, will make it happen.

July 8 update, 8:05 p.m.: A reader I greatly respect made this comment: "Thanks for this column. I would, however, like to see sexual orientation or even gender orientation instead of sexual preference. I don't just 'prefer' to love Janice, as in choosing to love her instead of a man. Too many folks say it's a choice and we could choose otherwise if we wanted to. I don't agree. I don't think you do either, but words are powerful."

She's right, and I thank her for cogent point. I have corrected my terminology above.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm... Maybe it will change in my lifetime!

Anonymous said...

Hi, Katharine,

Thanks for this column. I would, however, like to see sexual orientation or even gender orientation instead of sexual preference. I don't just "prefer" to love Janice, as in choosing to love her instead of a man. Too many folks say it's a choice and we could choose otherwise if we wanted to. I don't agree. I don't think you do either, but words are powerful.

Thanks,
Malinda

Template created by Makeworthy Media