KOK Edit: Your favorite copyeditor since 1984(SM)
KOK Edit: your favorite copyeditor since 1984(SM) KOK Edit: your favorite copyeditor since 1984(SM) Katharine O'Moore Klopf
Blog

Thursday, September 22, 2005

Evacuation Time in Texas, Part 6

It's been more than 9 hours since I last heard from my brother Wally, and even longer since I heard from my sister Becky. I don't want to use up precious cell-phone battery power for either of them by text-messaging or calling them yet. I'm betting that they're not yet anywhere near their intended final destinations. And this is why: Texas is the second-largest state (after Alaska) in land mass. Without traffic problems, it takes seemingly forever to get anywhere in the state anyway. But right now, more than 1 million people are trying to get out of the Houston area, so all of the highways look like this:

More than 1 million flee Houston

Photo by Rick Bowmer, Associated Press; from MSNBC.com

I hope I get a call or text message from both of them soon.


Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Part 9 Part 10 Part 11
Part 12 Part 13


No comments:

Template created by Makeworthy Media