KOK Edit: Your favorite copyeditor since 1984(SM)
KOK Edit: your favorite copyeditor since 1984(SM) KOK Edit: your favorite copyeditor since 1984(SM) Katharine O'Moore Klopf
Blog

Sunday, January 01, 2006

Reader Consultation on U.S. Health Care Insurance

Dear readers:

If you live in the United States, are self-employed, have children, and aren't married to someone whose employer subsidizes health care insurance premiums, do you have health care coverage? If so, please answer the following questions, in the order presented, in your comments to this post:

  1. What state do you live in?


  2. How many people, including you, are in your family?


  3. How much are your monthly premiums?


  4. What is your copay for a visit to a health care provider?


  5. What is your copay for medications?


  6. What is the name of your health care insurer, and what is its web site URL?


  7. If you are without health care, do you put aside money toward future health care costs? If so, how much each month?
I have done quite a bit of research, over the 11 years I've been self-employed, to find the best and most affordable health care insurance. Insurers are dropping the self-employed—not overtly but covertly, by discontinuing the existing coverage and offering new, much more costly coverage—at an alarming rate. I don't want to be fiscally irresponsible, but I may have no choice but to go without insurance; it's coming down to choosing between having a home and having health care coverage. Maybe some of you have found solutions that I'm missing.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry no one's answered your questions yet. Guess that says something. I do not have children but thought I'd answer anyway. In Virginia I used Anthem BC/BS for me and my husband at $200/mo. for $5000/person deductible and in Oregon I use Regence BC/BS at $144/mo. for just me with a $2500 deductible and dental coverage. I'm lucky to be healthy and young but dread the annual increases and am not looking forward to going to the next age block this year. My former insurance co. excluded pregnancy-related coverage unless you bought a separate pregnancy rider, which you could do once a year and which required you to wait 6 months after getting the rider before getting pregnant for you to be covered. My current insurance co. won't pay for birth control Rxs even when prescribed for medical reasons. It's all a mess and may drive me back to an office job someday until I can get on the husband's insurance when he's done with school.
http://www.anthem.com/
http://www.or.regence.com/
Alison from FREELANCE

Katharine O'Moore-Klopf said...

Thanks, Alison. Now I know I live in the wrong state. Here in New York, I did finally find some high-deductible plans like yours, but the monthly premiums are between $700 and $900 a month for a family. You're right: It's all a mess.

Template created by Makeworthy Media