KOK Edit: Your favorite copyeditor since 1984(SM)
KOK Edit: your favorite copyeditor since 1984(SM) KOK Edit: your favorite copyeditor since 1984(SM) Katharine O'Moore Klopf
Blog

Wednesday, January 09, 2008

A Feminist's Dilemma

I support Barack ObamaStill buried under work, as seems to perpetually be the case for me lately, I did take time to read Rebecca Traister's piece in Salon today about the eagerness of the old boys' club to see Hillary Clinton defeated:
... The glee with which [Hardball's Chris] Matthews and other angry male pundits prematurely danced on Hillary's grave [before the polling places in New Hampshire closed last night] made me—for one night only—a Clinton supporter. ...
Excellent article, and I agree with a lot of it. I am decidedly a feminist ... but I can't get behind Clinton, because, as Traister wrote,
there has been nothing in [Clinton's] steady, ineluctable move to the center that I could embrace; I understood why she did it, but it cost her my support.
Clinton sold out over the years so that the boys would "let" her play in the big leagues. Even if I do think that Matthews and his woman-hating/-fearing colleagues are asses, I can't vote for Clinton out of sympathy. She's moved so much to the right of where she professed to be years ago that I now see her as mildly Republican. In light of how evil Republicans have become, that's a sin I can never get past.

Obama, you've got my vote come February 5, and here and here are a lot of the reasons.



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link. The only thing I disagree with is the move to the center. I think she was always there. Have you read her autobiography? She never was a liberal, as much as certain media figures like to paint her that way.

Anonymous said...

Whoop, finger slip there. I'm still trying to figure out the new sign-in process on blogger blogs.

Debby said...

I also read, and agreed, with the salon article you mentioned.

Forget the fact that I think Hillary is unelectable....she's too right-wing and too much of a sell-out for me to vote for her.

Peter K Fallon, Ph.D. said...

Supporting Margaret Thatcher didn't make one a feminist. Supporting Hillary (over Obama) wouldn't make you a racist. Supporting Bill Clinton, God knows, didn't make you a Democrat. Supporting George W. Bush doesn't make you a Christian.

It's all much more complicated than that. The Gospel of Matthew says, "You shall know them by their fruits." Hillary's gender is not reason enough for a feminist to vote for her.

As for me, I'm sticking with Edwards until he throws in the towel. He is still the only politician in America talking about alleviating poverty, homelesness, and poor education, not only in the US, but around the world.

When Edwards drops out, I'll slide over to Obama's side.

Peace,
Peter

Unknown said...

And regardless of her feminist credentials or lack thereof, I am troubled by the notion that the American Presidency could be dynastic. We need some fresh air.

Stephanie E. said...

Oh, I'm so with you. We've talked about this often at our house.

Template created by Makeworthy Media