KOK Edit: Your favorite copyeditor since 1984(SM)
KOK Edit: your favorite copyeditor since 1984(SM) KOK Edit: your favorite copyeditor since 1984(SM) Katharine O'Moore Klopf
Blog

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

A Campaign-Season Lament

'bama's bitter band of bourgeoisie
is so distressed, it wants a recipe
for something new, but then, you see,
Cindy McCain swiped it from the TV.

John McCain can't remember a thing;
he changes his course like a bird on wing.
Then he says that he said no such thing,
till the next time his thoughts take a swing.

Hillary Clinton's always preached gun control;
her friend led the Million Mom March patrol.
But now she's in PA, gun owners to console,
raisin' up a rifle in photos oh so droll.

All this silliness may drive me to drink
'cause it's put my mood in one big kink.
I want to know whether they'll rethink
and stop the political slither-and-slink.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so disgusted right now.

Here's why I'm voting for Obama: He's the only one who doesn't seem to think we're all idiots. I hadn't seen the thing about Hillary and guns, but I'm not surprised. I believe she will say anything to get elected, and for some reason her followers--who are typically intelligent, reasonable people--go along with all her contradictions, no matter how transparent they are. I don't understand that at all.

Oh, and let me just say that when I think of my favorite family recipes, the first thing that comes to mind is ahi tuna with a Napa cabbage slaw. Oh yeah. Because nothing says "good old-fashioned home cooking" like freshly flown-in ocean fish and West Coast produce that's traveled on a truck for a week. Why, I'm sure I can get that down at the IGA!

If they had just plagiarized the Garvin County Extension Homemakers' Cookbook from 1981 (I could lend them a copy), nobody would have been able to catch them by cut-and-paste. And it would have made all of us in the bitter Heartland so happy to know that Mrs. McCain isn't too good to bake a plate of cookies or a casserole with crushed potato chips on top!

Actually, some of the favorite "family" recipes in my entirely Anglo-Saxon family are for fairly authentic Mexican food--my mother picked them up during our years in west Texas and, yes, ARIZONA, where the McCains presumably LIVE. How about a good tamale recipe?

Katharine O'Moore-Klopf said...

Exactly—Obama treats us like adults, and he doesn't lie.

And yes, ma'am, I'd love some good tamales! I used to eat them all the time in Texas when I was growing up, but sadly, they're pretty scarce here on Long Island.

Template created by Makeworthy Media