KOK Edit: Your favorite copyeditor since 1984(SM)
KOK Edit: your favorite copyeditor since 1984(SM) KOK Edit: your favorite copyeditor since 1984(SM) Katharine O'Moore Klopf
Blog

Friday, January 02, 2009

My Exciting Life

My LinkedIn statusUpon noting my most recent LinkedIn status ("editing a manuscript on volumetric analysis in intertrochanteric fractures of the femur"), a friend e-mailed me with the injunction to get a life.

I replied that my getting a life this evening shall consist of watching Ghost Whisperer* while eating a lovely, fragrant bean-and-tomato stew concocted by my mother-in-law. Here's hoping that the episode neither is a rerun nor is preempted by stupid football. The only good thing to come out of Ed's having to work at the reprehensible Walmart is that I get all of this great food to myself. Of course, its being both tasty and healthy means that neither of our boys will touch it. They will likely eat grilled-cheese sandwiches instead, but at least they will also deign to eat the small spinach salad I will insist on.

Editors live such wild and crazy lives, don't they? ;-)


Updated at 11:37 p.m.: Damn! Tonight's episode was a rerun. But at least a second rerun episode followed it, and the promo for next week's show says it'll be a new one in which Jim (see footnote below) just may recover his memories.


__________________
*The plotline of which has taken a very distressing turn: Jim, beloved and hunky husband of ghost-whisperer Melinda, was accidentally shot and killed by a police officer. His spirit hung around, disembodied, for a while because he couldn't bear to leave the love of his life. When a young firefighter died, Jim's spirit saw a chance to hang around physically too and swooped in to inhabit the newly dead firefighter's body, thus bringing the firefighter back to life with Jim's spirit instead of his own. Now Melinda has to wade through lots of emotional pain waiting for Jim (in a new body) to recognize her as his wife. Argh! Very stupid move on the writers' part.



2 comments:

Karoli said...

So is the idea here that they replaced the original actor and came up with a weird storyline to explain it?

I haven't watched it this year for some reason...now I know why. I don't watch much television but always really liked that show. I'm sure I would hate this, though. One of the things I loved best about it was the solidness of their relationship in spite of the bizarre situation. His unyielding acceptance of her as she was...

Katharine O'Moore-Klopf said...

Yep, their good relationship is definitely one of the reasons I like the show.

The original actor who played Jim is still on the show. We see him onscreen whenever Melinda looks at him or whenever other people who know the about Jim's spirit's bod-hopping thing look at him. Back in September, the executive producer was interviewed in a CBS Ghost Whisperer forum, and he seemed to be hinting at promising that the original actor won't leave the show but that Jim-in-the-new-body will stick around with Melinda. Then there was an interesting interview with the actor posted in November.

I dunno ... I'm still watching the series for the immediate future, but it sure seems like a dumb plot move to me.

Template created by Makeworthy Media